Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Laptop Troubles, what is this world coming to?

So, granted not everyone in the world is wired, but most of us are these days. It's common for the average middle class person to have an iphone or other high-tech phone, itouch or ipod, a laptop and possibly an e-reader which seems to be the next big thing. I mean, yeah...I have all of these things too because I am your average middle class college student. What really threw me is, I broke my laptop yesterday. It's fixable, but because I don't have my repair cd with me, I have had to go a whole day without my laptop, and it is so hard. I guess I didn't really notice how impaired I am without it.

Last night, I was so bored at work, even with my Nook and my phone. I didn't have access to facebook, or my email (since I don't have data plan on my phone), I didn't know what to do with myself. Normally I would read a book, but since I gave up fiction books for Lent, can't read any of those. You would think hey, college student, well hey! perfect solution, just study! But I couldn't becuase all of my study material is on my laptop. And it leads me to think, what the heck is this world coming to???

College students bring their laptops to class to pretend they're taking notes when they're really just playing games. Phones are no longer just for calling people, their for everything that you could possibly think of. Paperback books are not necessary because there's electronic e-readers now and who needs live musicians now when you can listen to them from your laptop, phone or ipod??  Everything is so accessible now that no one of my generation would know what to do if it suddenly went away.

I read an article in the Washinton Post yesterday that blew me away. Parents are neglecting their kids because they're too busy on their iphones. One person in the article reported that her husband started cheking his email DURING intercourse. People are so wired that if there isn't a screen in front of them that they don't know how to have fun anymore. One of my friends once told me that she has trouble expressing herself outside of IM sometimes. Even me, I don't really remember how to have a friend outside of the internet. I don't know how I did it in high school, easily making friends, meeting guys, having boyfriends, having fun PERIOD without a computer attached to me. Sometimes...it just doesn't seems possible anymore.

2 comments:

  1. It's possible, just seems like it'd be easier if other people were also determined to unplug for a little bit. You had fun at the Christmas and New Years parties computer-free, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but if you remember, there was a computer at the Christmas party, which was used for trivia or some kind of list. At the New Years, you ALMOST brought out your computer if i remember correctly. or was it a book?

    ReplyDelete